We know that coming to University in the UK for the first time is both exciting and nerve-racking. To help you settle in to life in the UK, and life at Salford, we've got lots of services on offer!
Since its creation, the International Café has brought just one message to all University students: Community.
The Students' Union, in partnership with the International Society, has transformed what is the International Café into a weekly gathering of peace, cohesion and cultural diversity. Open to all students from both home and abroad, we provide free refreshments, food and snacks! Some weeks there's a theme, some weeks it's a quiz or karaoke, however all weeks it's a place for you to come down and relax!
The cafe runs every Thursday during term time at 6pm/18:00hrs in The North Side, University House!
We have dozens of student-led societies which cater for international students, from our faith groups like ISoc and the Christian Union, to our cultrual ones like the Afro-Cribbean and the Indian societies! You can find a list of all our groups here, and if you can't find one you want to join, we can help you start one here!
The International Society has over 4,000 members from over 150 different countries, making it a great place to meet friends during your stay in Manchester. The society arranges weekend trips around the UK, offers over 30 different languages classes each week and organises over 100 different social events throughout the year, helping you to make the most of your time in the UK.
- visits to the Lake District, Peak District, North Wales, York, Edinburgh and Glasgow
- weekly socials
- walks in the countryside and city tours
- regular Speed Friending, Quiz Nights, Game Nights, cultural events and more
- English and other language classes
- a Hospitality Scheme to link up international students and British family
- a Families Group for spouses and children of international students to meet together and celebrate occasions
The International Society is based on Oxford Road and brings together students from all the universities in Manchester. Salford students get free membership!